Chances are you may have not ever heard of skimboarding but it is a sport that has been becoming more popular recently. If you already know how to surf or skateboard, skimboarding may be another sport you’d enjoy. Skimboarding involves riding along the shoreline, either at the beach or in an inland body of water. Skimboarding is a fun sport no matter how old you are or how experienced you are.
If you want to join in with everyone who has started taking up skimboarding (and try to become the best skimboarder in the world), you’ll want to find the best skimboard for beginners that is suited to you. You don’t want to buy just any old skimboard off the internet as you’d risk buying something that wouldn’t fit you and would make it very difficult to learn the sport.
How to Find the Perfect Skimboard With The Top Rating
One thing you’ll want to look at is the length of your ideal beginner skimboards.
You can use your height and weight to find the perfect length for your body but you should also keep in mind that longer boards are better for speed and shorter boards are easier to hop around on. For example, in Fergal Smith Surfboards main hangout spot we prefer shorter skimboards for the ease of use and speed.
There are a few different materials that skimboards tend to made out of, rating aside each material is good for beginners.. Each of the best skimboards for beginners on this list has own benefits and what material you choose really depends on what you want to be able to do with your skimboard.
- Foam: If you are looking for a good budget option, the foam is a great choice. Foam is one of your lighter material options. Foam has the least durability of any of the materials so keep that in mind and check the weight limits of whatever board you buy. On the other hand, foam also makes it easier to float and stay on top of waves when you’re using your skimboard.
- Carbon Fiber: Carbon fiber is even lighter than foam but if you are on a budget, this may not be your best option. This is the material professional skimboarder’s skimboards are made out of because it is easier to float on the waves with a carbon fiber board and it also helps boarders to reach higher speeds than other materials.
- Pin Shaped Tail: This is the best choice for beginners or children. A pin-shaped tail helps you to remain more stable in the water so you have a lower risk of falling.
- Square Shaped Tail: A square tail provides good flexibility and helps with maneuvering but you lose some of the stability you find in a pin-shaped tail. This kind of tail isn’t the best for those who are just starting out.
Choosing The Best Skimboards For Beginners
The best skimboard for beginners is going to depend on a lot of factors. We have a couple picks to help point you in the right direction and give you an idea of what to look for when buying a skimboard for a beginner or a child.
Lucky Bums Wood Skimboard
This is a great option for anyone looking to save money. Purchasing an inexpensive board is always a good idea when you’re just starting out, as you may want to upgrade to a different board later or you may find that the sport isn’t actually to your liking.
- This has three sizing options, the smallest being 30 inches which is a good size for a child if that’s who you’re buying the board for.
- Works in shallow water so you can practice without having to go straight into the ocean first.
- High-gloss coating to keep water from damaging the board.
- No larger sizing options for large adults.
This is our choice for the best skimboard for beginners..
Apex is a company that makes fiberglass skimboards with a foam core. Their boards are both high-quality and low-cost, making them a great option for a beginner.
- All boards from Apex come in three sizes, 41”, 46”, and 51”. They are a good option for large adults.
- Inexpensive. You won’t have to break the bank to get one of these boards.
- Long-lasting. Especially given the price, Apex boards are durable and will last you a long time.
- There are no smaller options available.
What Board Is Used By The Best Skimboarder?
This question is very subjective as the best skimboarder title is up for debate. When looking at beginner skimboards it’s key to keep an objective perspective and filter by rating, and only looking at the top reviewed model and brand.
Why Choosing The Beast Skimboard Model Is CRITICAL
This is one of the main questions we get asked every time, “what is the best skimboard for beginners?”. In response I typically ask them for their weight height what material they use, so it’s really a big question and picking out the right skimboard is crucial. I always tell people to get a carbon board because they are lighter and more stiff as well as more durable. The stiffness is super important because its gonna reduce drag and help you get further out into the waves. It’s really one of the best materials to help out beginners.
Conclusion Of The Best Skimboards For Beginners Guide
To sum up, there are a variety of factors you need to consider before purchasing a skimboard, especially when trying to be most efficient when searching for the best skimboards for beginners. What board is best for you is ultimately up to you to decide. Be sure to consider all factors before buying a board.